(1 rate)
    • June 25, 2016 10:42 AM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

My gesture drawings

Hi everyone,

After looking on some great figure drawings here I was inspired to share my daily gesture drawings. This used to be one of the aspects of drawing I struggled with the most, so I went on a journey to master it. During that journey I quickly fell in love with act of capturing the life of the human figure on paper and nowadays gesture drawing is one of my favorite activities.

For more of my work you can look here: http://www.swendly.com/gesture-drawing-demonstrations.html

Enjoy and any questions or comments are welcome.

This post was edited by Swendly Benilia at June 25, 2016 10:49 AM PDT
    • August 7, 2016 8:58 AM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Capturing energy in your poses

Since a lot of artists have been bringing this up about my work I decided to write some quick notes (you can visit http://www.swendly.com/tutorials.html for more):

This post was edited by Swendly Benilia at August 7, 2016 8:58 AM PDT
    • August 14, 2016 1:06 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• August 18, 2016 11:25 AM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• August 18, 2016 11:51 AM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Hey Swendly!  I love your drawings. I think you are well on your way to becoming a productive artist in the animation industry.  Are you planning on going to Calarts?  If so, I would encourage you to explore different mediums. Sometimes trying different techniques and mediums will force you to focus even more than you usually do because you put yourself out of a comfort zone. That extra focus will continue to develop your observational skills and then feed back into your drawings.  Also, you have a very stylized way of drawing which is awesome but could be limiting especially when it starts to look a lot like everything else out there. To take the next step in your drawing, begin to cultivate a style that is uniquely yours. Sometimes this happens naturally with artists and other times, an artist has to be more conscious of developing their own style because their influences and role models are showing up in their work so strongly.  Having that signature style will take you to the highest level. Check out designer Heidi Smith, from Laika studios. I went to school with her. She always had such a distinct way of drawing that was so unique to her. She continued drawing nonstop over the years and now enjoys an awesome career at Laika as a designer.  You can see her influences for sure, but at the same time she has a very unique spin. Thanks for sharing your work and I hope you find this site useful!

mario

• August 18, 2016 12:11 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Mario Furmanczyk said:

Hey Swendly!  I love your drawings. I think you are well on your way to becoming a productive artist in the animation industry.  Are you planning on going to Calarts?  If so, I would encourage you to explore different mediums. Sometimes trying different techniques and mediums will force you to focus even more than you usually do because you put yourself out of a comfort zone. That extra focus will continue to develop your observational skills and then feed back into your drawings.  Also, you have a very stylized way of drawing which is awesome but could be limiting especially when it starts to look a lot like everything else out there. To take the next step in your drawing, begin to cultivate a style that is uniquely yours. Sometimes this happens naturally with artists and other times, an artist has to be more conscious of developing their own style because their influences and role models are showing up in their work so strongly.  Having that signature style will take you to the highest level. Check out designer Heidi Smith, from Laika studios. I went to school with her. She always had such a distinct way of drawing that was so unique to her. She continued drawing nonstop over the years and now enjoys an awesome career at Laika as a designer.  You can see her influences for sure, but at the same time she has a very unique spin. Thanks for sharing your work and I hope you find this site useful!

mario

Thanks a lot for your feedback Mario!

To tell you a bit about me, I'm a professional artist specializing in character design. Besides that I'm also a gesture drawing teacher. I started working in games and publishing and now I'm branching out into animation. Animation has always been my major source of inspiration for drawing. Sadly I couldn't find many forums dedicated to this field around so that's why I decided to share some of my gesture drawing work here. It's been great so far! If you're interested in looking at my design work you can check it out here: http://www.swendly.com/services.html

Again, thanks for the tips and artist references. I'll check them out. There's always more to learn.

• August 24, 2016 1:57 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Some demos for my upcoming tutorial:

• August 28, 2016 3:19 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• September 2, 2016 1:39 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• September 2, 2016 1:54 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

thanks for sharing your portfolio website. You have a really great set of skills already and will probably won't take you very long to get aquainted with the animation industry.  One thing I would recommend is browsing through some animation vis dev portfolios and noticing how there is less complexity in the overal design for clarity and appeal's sake.  It's interesting to look at what Shiyoon Kim, or Heidi Smith does with shape and proportions..  Might be something for you to start experimenting with but by far, the most important thing is character character and character. It's all about knowing or exploring who that character is and expressing it in design.  It's  such a hard job!  But seems like a fun one. Good luck, and looking forward to seeing more!

• September 2, 2016 2:07 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Thanks for the kind words and tips Mario! One of the aspects that excites me the most about character design for animation is the focus on character. It can be challenging indeed. Good thing that our passion keeps us from quitting.

• September 2, 2016 2:51 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

I've realized that not quitting is the key to succeding at anything haha

• November 4, 2016 11:57 AM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

It was about time for another update.

• November 8, 2016 11:17 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

This was fun!

• November 10, 2016 3:10 PM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

More good stuff.

• November 11, 2016 2:55 PM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• November 13, 2016 7:03 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• November 14, 2016 6:30 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• November 15, 2016 6:37 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Some drawings from today's session.

• November 16, 2016 6:52 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• November 17, 2016 6:12 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

More of my daily gesture drawings. Consistent practice is one of the keys to improvement.

• November 18, 2016 6:13 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

After exploring a lot of dynamic poses I decided to analyse some standing poses today. There is a lot of individuality to be found in them, which should be considered when posing your own characters. How does that particular character stand?

• November 21, 2016 5:30 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• November 21, 2016 9:49 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

great job with these poses man!  You're gonna be an awesome asset to a studio one day!

• November 21, 2016 9:54 AM PST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

great job with these poses man!  You're gonna be an awesome asset to a studio one day!

Thanks a lot for the positive words Mario! They help to keep me inspired :).

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)