Forums » CALARTS Forum

CalArts life drawing Class

• May 6, 2011 2:27 PM PDT

I was wondering if a current calarts student or any calarts student could tell me how the calarts gesture classes are?

do they play music? are people allowed to talk? what are the posing times?

any details?

thanks!

• 91 posts
    June 1, 2011 10:08 PM PDT
    There's no such thing as a gesture class. We have a 6 hour long life drawing class once a week. Music is played, but a lot of people bring iPods. Yes, you may talk, but you should respect the model. If they are working, you should be working too. Poses last from continuous motion to 20 minute long.
  • June 1, 2011 10:14 PM PDT
    Yay you answered my question thank you!
    This might sound weird but do people talk, Loudly??

and what type of music do they play, all types?
    • 91 posts
    June 1, 2011 10:17 PM PDT
    the teachers kind of plat whatever they want... sometimes it's really nice, sometimes it's like "experimental"! And no- we are not really allowed to talk loudly. People are supposed to work. Basically, if you want to talk, just leave.
    • 16 posts
    June 1, 2011 11:51 PM PDT

Weird that they would allow music of any kind in the class.  Out loud or headphones, it's an incredible distraction from what the class is about:  paying attention to your observations.  Music does not aid in that--it is only a distraction. 

• 91 posts
    June 2, 2011 8:26 AM PDT
    You'll quickly find, G.M., that people here listen to music all the time... I would be careful about judging so quickly.
    • 16 posts
    June 2, 2011 8:37 PM PDT

Oh--I'm sure people do. But I'm not judging--just stating a fact.  It is distracting from the concentrated observation required for Life Drawing.

• 91 posts
    June 2, 2011 9:00 PM PDT
    I hate to say- but I completely disagree. I fail to see how audio stimulus makes me suck at SEEING.
    • 16 posts
    June 2, 2011 9:05 PM PDT

You can disagree.  But again, it's just a simple fact that listening to music is distracting from focusing on life drawing.  There are already plenty of other distractions in the room. Music is just another--more easily controlled-thing fighting for your attention.  

• 91 posts
    June 2, 2011 9:35 PM PDT
    I happen to think that the music helps cut off all the distractions around me. So obviously I look forward to your life drawings.
    • 31 posts
    July 21, 2011 7:19 AM PDT
    Students are neither to be seen nor heard at the calarts life drawing class.
  • December 22, 2012 1:05 PM PST
    Wait a minute, it's impossible that a room full of people drawing would be silent, even if the teacher wasn't playing music. personally i find the sound of 20 pencils to be a lot more distracting than a familiar song. I listen to music so that i am not distracted by the fact that i'm surrounded by people, and it really keeps my anxiety down.
    yeah maybe perfect silence helps, and when i am drawing completely alone i don't listen to anything, but in the context of a class, i really doubt music is any more distracting than the general sound in the class, and in some cases may be a lot easier to push out or ignore.
    sorry for poor wording,
    • 93 posts
    December 22, 2012 2:31 PM PST
    At this point, I'm just excited to take a figure drawing class that will teach more than the basics. Because Figure Drawing II was just a repeat of Figure Drawing I. None of the classes at Saddleback offer any additional instruction for Figure Drawing II or III classes. They can blast screamo for all I care. I just want to advance!
    • 51 posts
    December 22, 2012 4:00 PM PST
    I have trouble drawing unless I'm listening to music or the TV. Otherwise, i start paying attention to weird things like conversations, outside noises or other people's breathing. Besides, I read an article about how many surgeons listen to music while operating.